Monday 28 January 2008

Why I've set up this blog

My aim this year is to write a romance novel for the Mills and Boon "Modern" line. I actually started writing my novel in April last year, and have been picking it up and tinkering with it in short bursts.

When I saw that Mills and Bon were having a writing competition, I thought I'd better get my finger out and complete the book. They allow you to submit multiple entries as long as you have never been published and the deadline for the competition is Feb 14th 2008.

The competition requires you to send in your first chapter (which can be up to 5000 words) and a synopsis. My dilemma is this - should I post off my first chapter and synopsis based on what I've written so far? Or should I write a lot more of the novel in order to do justice to the synopsis? I've written some 37,000 words of the novel so far, and Mills and Boon novels have about 50-55,000 words. If I'm reasonably disciplined in the next few weeks, I should be able to finish the book, or as near as I can, but it's a big ask. Oh well, here goes!

No comments: